Saturday, June 22, 2013

Kumara (Sweet Potato) and Leek Soup

My normal superpower is knitting.... But today I made the greatest soup of all time, creamy, delicious, amazing, and all gone. So this will be made again. Tomorrow.



Ingredients
3 Kumara (sweet potatoes)
1/3 leek
1 onion
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
Salt
Pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon coriander

Peel the Kumara or sweet potatoes roughly. I like leaving some of the flesh. Cop into rings about half a cm wide. Waiting for soup isn't my strong suit. Dice the onion and chop the leek. Toss it all in a pot with the butter. Stir on a low heat until the onion is all soft and delicious looking.


Add in the spices. I go for a lot of pepper because its amazing. But, salt and pepper to taste.



Toss in the water and stock. Chicken stock would be great if you are a meat eater. But I am not, so I stick firmly to vegetable stock.



Boil. Keep the heat low and keep stirring. When the Kumara is soft, blitz with a hand blender.




Prepare to serve and be amazed. The leeks make it all creamy and amazing. I was all ready to add cream, and then stopped myself because the soup was perfection.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. how many does this recipe serve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes about 4 servings, approx 2 litres of soup. If you are worried about the amount, throw in more water and another Kumara.

      Delete
  2. I was typing a comment and it flew away. Maybe it will turn up. Thanks for sharing this. It will be featured on My Meatless Mondays and I am hoping, also on my table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is wonderful news. And seriously... this is good soup. :D

      Delete