Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bento Sustainability

Basically here I was mowing the lawn this morning (with my rechargable lawn mower) and putting the grass clippings around the chili plants thinking about my lunch for the week.  And I guess what I like most about bento is the reusing and thinking about what you have.

I have always liked to re-use my lawnclippings, as I hate the grass clippings laying about wastefully.  So hense the vege patch has benefited.  I love to grow my own herbs, because they taste better than dried ones, and other than the sunburn and weeding, I like gardening.  This years patch is doing reasonably well.  We had had a fair run of peas, strawberries and chilis, and the lettuce has done us proud.  Somethings have not done so well with the cold snaps, and the feijoa tree looks set to yet again be non-productive.  But if I can eat what I grow and compost the scraps, everyone wins.

With bento I have really reduced on plastic waste in the bin.  Mostly I have managed to buy in bulk, make from home and reuse the containers.  This is a seriously good thing.  Getting organised is forcing me to think longer term about what I need to have ready for the end of the week, and I tend not to be wasting as much of anything.

I would encourage anyone to get sorted with a lunchbox this year and make a stand for the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment