Remember, I am a vegetarian, so this basically means that I decided I liked poached eggs. My mother used to poach eggs growing up, but I never ate them. I preferred scrambled. And I am a fan of the movie, "Julie and Julia"... so watching the failed attempts at poaching just.... creeped me out.
Anyway, I gave it a lot of research. A lot. I read every cook book I owned with tips and scowered the internet.
|Semi-successful eggs benedict|
Eggs Benedict (poached eggs)
- Fill a deep frying pan with about 5cm of water and add a splash of vinegar and pinch of salt.
- Bring the water to a simmer.
- One at a time, break eggs into a cup - I used a 1 cup pyrex jug. Then slide the egg into the water.
- As soon as the water starts simmering again, turn off the heat and cover saucepan with lid.
- Stand for about 2 minutes, or until the white is firm.
- Lift the eggs out of water with a slotted spoon. Drain well.
- Serve on toasted English muffins with parsley, hollandaise sauce, and black pepper.
Sort of. The picture is accurate, but the water.... it looked.... yuck. However after discussion with my mother, she said that Grandma used to use an egg poacher. I have since ordered one from Fly Buys, so I will try poaching eggs again when it arrives. :D